Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pumpkin Trifle

 This morning while looks through recipes for what I am going to make tomorrow, @KimberlyBelle sent me this wonderful recipe she made, and looks amazing. I had to share! Check out her blog for a fun write up and great pictures on her trifle. Here is a wonderful description and recipe from her blog, in Kimberly's words, check it out:


"As I rummaged through old cookbooks for inspiration and thought back to Thanksgivings passed, I remembered the relatively simple dessert I piled together for my Tribe a few turkeys ago. A pumpkin trifle. Not too fussy, and the type of dish that looks like it took hours to prepare when it secretly only takes about 30 minutes to whip together, this eye candy treat is filled with layers of salty caramel, chocolate ganache, pumpkin custard and whipped cream, topped with pecan brittle and espresso-brushed lady fingers. It is a surefire hit with people of all palettes, and promises to seal the deal for me and Mr. M’s Chicago clan. Anyone looking for a last minute recipe to impress “the fam” without having to stand in front of a stove for hours should take notes."


Pumpkin Trifle (feeds a tribe)

Pumpkin-Marscapone Custard
Whipped Cream
Salted Caramel
Chocolate Ganache
Espresso-brushed Lady Fingers
Pecan Praline

*Follow the links above to get specific directions on compiling each component.
There’s no science to layering a trifle. The trick is to pick the most delicious ingredients you can imagine tasting good together, and layering them in the most attractive way possible. Come summer, I’ve been known to concoct a berry trifle made with dry sherry-infused cream, but for turkey time, pumpkin reigns king.
You can never go wrong with a pumpkin-chocolate-caramel pairing, so gather together the best of what you’ve got laying around or can easily pick up, and layer your trifle in advance. You might even consider doing it today, and letting the flavors heighten and marinate overnight. The trifle will prove a perfect centerpiece for your Thanksgiving table, and will last as leftovers all weekend long till you run out of turkey sandwiches or soup. Just keep it refrigerated and covered in plastic wrap until you’re ready for the unveiling. I actually think trifle tends to taste best at room temperature, so feel free to leave it out all day before serving.
In the photographed version, I whipped together organic pumpkin pie filling with mascarpone cheese to make a sort of custard seasoned with freshly grated cinnamon and nutmeg; I made a simple whipped cream to act as the white layer, and boiled up a batch of my favorite salted caramel. I melted dark chocolate ganache with a bit of butter, brushed espresso over lady fingers (tiramisu style), and candied pecans into a crunchy praline I broke into pieces atop the trifle. You could try this version, or go in any number of directions building your bowl of pumpkiny peace on Earth."

Check out Kimberly's blog for more info on her, and her wonderful recipe. Again, this recipe, and words above are all Kimbery's.

Let us know if you make this wonderful trifle, I love hearing from our readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment